Assamese Online Course – Level 1
Assamese is one of the few ‘oldest’ languages in India, and is the principal language of Assam. The Assamese script has 41 consonants and 11 vowels, which are similar to the Devnagari script used in Hindi, the present national language. The language boasts strong roots in literature, which emerged from the court poets of the Ahom Kingdom in Assam in the fourteenth century.
Nestled deep within the North-eastern corner of India, Assam is known as the land of red rivers and blue hills. It is bounded on the northern side by the kingdom of Bhutan and the state of Arunachal Pradesh; the east by the states of Nagaland and Manipur; to the south lies Mizoram and Tripura; and to the west by the state of Meghalaya, West Bengal and the republic of Bangladesh.
With all the surrounding influences of culture, religion, politics, cuisine, and fashion, it’s rather amazing that this small state is held together by one official language: Assamese.
Assamese is a rich language due to its hybrid nature and unique characteristics of pronunciation and softness.
KEY LEARNING POINTS
- Identify the alphabet and the sounds in Assamese
- Make an introduction
- Recognise and talk about colours and use them
- Use numbers 1-20
- Express simple greetings
- Talk about your occupation
- Talk about countries and where you live
- Ask and Tell the time
- Exchange your contact details
- Express your likes and dislikes of food and drinks
- Learn your way around the kitchen in Assamese
ADVANTAGES OF THIS COURSE
- Learning a new language significantly reduces the odds of getting neurological disorders such as Alzheimer’s and dementia at an earlier age.
- By learning a new language, you can literally change the way you see the world.
- Learning a second language draws your attention to the abstract rules and structure of language, it can make you better at your first language.
- As a bilingual you will have stronger control over their attention and are better able to limit distractions.
- You will become a better communicator and develop a better listening ear.
- You will have a greater understanding and appreciation of the literature and songs in Assamese, which will allow you to indulge in the music.
- Earn good money by working as a translator.
|1 gigahertz (GHz)|
|Internet Explorer 8 or above
Safari 6 or above