Diploma in Autism Awareness
There's no denying that working with autistic people presents challenges. But the rewards and, in fact, the challenge itself, can make this job one of the most positive career experiences you could choose.
Autism refers to a whole range of social, language and communication problems. Severity ranges from mild and often undiagnosed to severe, where it is almost impossible for people to successfully engage in society.
Autism can have a profound effect on individuals and families, but understanding and support can make a huge difference to their daily living. Sign up for this course to acquire knowledge and become the person who makes that difference!
Why should I enrol onto this course?
There is an increasing need for people with the right skills and education to properly serve this unique population. Consequently, job opportunities in this sector are on the rise.
By studying just 8 easy-to-digest modules you will gain skills that will not only heighten your current career status, but you will also have a positive impact on someone’s’ life!
Furthermore, this flexible programme is studied and completed online, so you can learn in your own time from anywhere as long as you have Internet access.
KEY LEARNING POINTS
This course will develop your understanding of the diverse condition of autism.
On completion of this course you will be able to:
- Identify the different learning disabilities and understand how learning disabilities can affect social and emotional development of children and young people.
- Explore the difference between Autism and Asperger’s syndrome and understand the causes of learning difficulties.
- Understand the difficulties encompassed with social interaction, communication and imagination, which affect the learning of a young person with ASD and learn about the genetic & environmental causes of autism.
- Discover how autism is diagnosed in adults and look into gender differences of the condition.
- Understand the concept of challenging behaviour and recognise the characteristics of autism through children's behaviour.
- Identify potential difficulties with expressive language in the context of autism awareness.
- Understand how to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the speech, language and communication skills of a young person with ASD.
- Understand what “Social Inclusion” means.
- Recognise the practical considerations of living with autism and how to create a safe environment.
- Ascertain Visual Strategies used to support Individuals with ASD.
- Understand the main elements of non-verbal communication and their role in supporting someone with autism.
- Understand the ethical considerations for workers supporting this area as well as understand the possible challenges for family members.
- Gain an understanding of organisational issues and avenues for support and helpful resources.
ADVANTAGES OF THIS COURSE
- There are no entry requirements to enrol onto this course.
- You will gain endorsed diploma.
- Readily available for you to access online from anywhere.
- At the end of each unit there is a multiple choice question assessment, which is a great way to help you remember the main points of each lesson and confirmation that you have retained the essential knowledge.
- Outline of Learning Disabilities
- Causes of Autism
- Explaining Autistic Behaviour
- Communication and Language
- Approaches to Autism
- Practical suggestions when working with Autism
- Ethical, Legal and Organisational Issues
|1 gigahertz (GHz)|
|Internet Explorer 8 or above
Safari 6 or above